Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand (2007)

Yes, its a Male / Female duo that plays Shoegaze Drone Doom Metal. No, you shouldn't just assume that since you listen to Nadja that you should disregard this. This is different.

K Angylus (Jacksonville, AL) and MDragonfly (Macon, GA) began recording around Athens in 1999. Unfortunately, eight years later, they had little acclaim. I discovered this band a year after their demise and am sad that I never had the opportunity to experience their live shows or their company.

Deeply emotional and honestly pleading vocals (sometimes singing, sometimes screaming) are buried deep within a cold wall of My Bloody Valentine-like noise, masked by thick black metal accented riffs at a speed akin to Neurosis or Jesu; with minimal tribal drums deep and heavy as you could imagine.

This is an album I love to walk around to when its bitterly cold out. The desperation and darkness is abundantly clear and I relish it.

The following is a statement from their Myspace blog:

During the last few weeks, I have had to face a very difficult reality...as it stands, I can no longer make music. The break to my already damaged right hand has not healed correctly. As of now, I can't play drums at all and I only have a limited ability to play guitar (and I cannot bow at all). Even with surgery, a recovery that would allow me to play well enough to continue the band is not assured. Such a surgery would also require extensive muscle reconstruction and bone resetting and will take an estimated year and a half to 2 years to heal.

I have made music for the last 12 years...nearly half my life. I've done The Angelic Process for nearly 9 of those. When I think about who I am without music, I don't really know. Sometimes, something is so much a part of you...

But to get to the point, The Angelic Process has been put on hold indefinitely. There is nothing else that can be done about that. We have also managed to sell out of all the copies of all the reissue albums and most of our supply of the other albums. We will no longer be selling Angelic Process merchandise through our website or Decaying Sun site. This may change in the future, but as of right now, we need a break from everything. The stress and amount of energy that have gone into making this decision have left M and I drained and in need of a recovery period. All the orders that have been placed will be filled and everyone will get their order, but no new orders will be excepted from this point on. Any new news or updates about the band will be posted here and on the website.

We want to thank everyone for everything. We have met so many amazing people because of the band and our life has been improved so much by those interactions. I so want to name everyone and thank them personally and I'm sure I will in time, but right now I just want to get this post over with.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. It feels like a part of me is dying. I am sorry to everyone who loves this band as much a we do. I'm sorry to everyone who will never see us play live. I'm sorry to everyone...

K.Angylus
formally of The Angelic Process

Shortly thereafter, he committed suicide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers