Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame - 1983

1991. I was at a friend's house on a Sunday night listening to "The Edge with Coyote J. Calhoun" on the radio for the first time. My friends and I had just become enamored with Goth and this show was supposed to be the best place to here it. It truly was. I'll never forget that the first song of the evening was "Man of Straw" by Sad Lovers and Giants. This Midnight Music band would be a catalyst for my newfound obsession with dark music.

Not that they were really Goth, mind you. I remember thinking they sounded like The Church if the drugs had pushed Steve Kilby off the deep end once and for all...Goth Church. I think my initial comparison still rings true. After the first two albums I lost interest but this and "Epic Garden Music" continue to be entirely relevant albums. Download a track here: MAN OF STRAW

Feeding

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers